Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Sometimes 20 isn't 20 either

Twenty laps at the pool last night. I didn't link any fifties together. But I did get some good form and stroke work. At Dev's suggestion, I tried breathing every second stroke instead of every third stroke. So I took a breath every time I stroked with my right hand for instance, instead of alternating sides with my breathing like the classic race swimmer. I got two good things out this exercise.

The breathing-every-two exercise forced me to practice keeping the lead arm extended while breathing and timing the breath so that my lead arm could stay extended. The extended position helps me keep my length up for speed and maintaining a good body position for efficiency. I didn't manage to keep he lead arm out all the time. But I had my arm out way more often than I've managed in the last few months. I alternated arms for 5 or 6 laps and then settled on my better lead arm for the last 5 laps of the night. (My better "lead" arm is my right arm for those of you dying of curiosity.)

I also practiced better breathing technique. Since I got to breath with every stroke, I could breath more shallowly. Since I could breathe more shallowly, I could breathe more quickly. Since I could breathe more quickly, I could keep my "front" arm out front more easily and maintain my velocity better. I even managed to breathe in the little trough that forms from my head pushing through the water. That only happened a few times. I happened often enough for me to start remembering how it feels.

So all in all, I had a good night swimming. I felt efficient. I played with my body position and swim mechanics and I started getting some relaxed strokes going. Twenty *better* laps than the last time I beat water for a thousand yards.

1 comment:

E said...

this is goooood.