Monday, August 11, 2008

New adventures

I just got online and purchased Total Immersion to help me improve my swimming. I had started swimming again last fall. By swimming again, I mean that I took a beginner swim class from the local pool. I finally got some basic technique at the age of 35. I didn't do so well on the follow up. I haven't been to the pool in months. So now I go back.

Why now?

A couple of reasons. Swimming is a survival skill. I should be able to swim confidently for a few hundred yards, at least. If I fell in a river right now on one of my hiking trips, I'd be in trouble. Next up, swimming opens the door for a lot of other activities, like surfing. I can surf in the short waist high breaks at Indian Head right now. If Dev and I get better and start going to bigger breaks, it'd be nice to know how to get myself to shore. also, it makes me more rounded, more of a generalist. I like having a wide set of skills and knowledge. Sadly, my aquatic side has been stunted for a long time. Finally, there's kind of a zen simplicity to swimming that really appeals to me. Much like hiking is so simple and basic and fulfilling, swimming seems much the same way. All you need is some water and some time and you can swim.

I'll try to post progress as I go along.

No comments: