Monday, August 04, 2008

The invisible before us

I took this shot at an intersection near home on my way to work last week. The view reminds me of a documentary on R Crumb that I watched years ago. One of the most memorable moments in the movie involved Crumb getting a ride around the city and the suburbs. He didn't drive but he wanted to sketch out as many versions of power lines as he could find. The images of the power lines contradicted what I imagined; I always minimized the power lines in my imagination. Crumb's imagery depicted a sprawling tangle of power lines littering the landscape and skyline. I made effort to look for power lines on the way to work. I shocked myself by actually *seeing* something that is always there. I lost the thread of cables by the time I made it to work.

No comments: