Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Research paper

I started checking out some of the details for my hopeful ascent of Mt Rainier this summer. The National Park Service has some really great information on their website. I downloaded a slew of PDF files. I need to hike up to Camp Muir at 10,000 feet to get a preview of the lay of the land. I thought it might be this weekend, but with the warming temperatures and the high potential avalanche danger, I decided that I need to postpone the scouting trip. In researching the trail to Camp Muir and the roads and such I found out just how much information the National Park System posts to their respective sites. I found a file that has just the compass bearings and landmarks from Paradise to Camp Muir so that a hiker can get down safely in the case of whiteout conditions. I found an elevation profile chart of the Wonderland Trail that circumnavigates the 93 miles around the base of Rainier. I found several iterations of trail and climbing maps with mileages and elevations. Just a great level of detail. Awesome.

No comments: