Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The Hunchback Mountain saga, chapter 1

The first time I tried climbing to the top of Hunchback Mountain was on my wedding day almost 3 years ago. I wanted to do a hike in the morning. Hunchback sits close to Welches, right off highway 26 at the Zig Zag ranger station. (This is less than a mile from the Resort at the Mountain where Dev and I got married.) The guidebook characterized Hunchback Mountain as moderate to the first viewpoint. So that morning, I round up my two brothers and my two groomsmen and drive to the trailhead. I took a liter of water and one clif bar. I dunno what the other guys carried. Not much. We toiled up the switchbacks in 90 something degree heat. Oh, yeah. I forgot to mention that Portland hit 105 degrees that day. Welches hit 95 degrees that day. So we get near the top of the ridge. All five of us are dying; wilting in the heat. We turn around and start down the trail. I get slower as we get closer to the bottom. The incline is killing my knees. My legs get a little shaky. I have to rest a lot. We make it back to the car. Sweaty but alive. And then drive back to Welches to get ready for the wedding.
I shower and shave. I get dressed. I walk across the property to get to the spot for the wedding pictures. And then I get a splitting headache. And then some nausea piles on. I grit my teeth and smile and get through the pictures. Dev can tell that something's wrong. Finally the photographer finishes. We make a beeline for the resort bar. I sit in the air conditioning and drink a coke. And just sit for a few minutes.
Ten minutes before I was due at the end of the aisle I felt right as rain. Heat exhaustion didn't kill me, and neither did Dev.

Round 1 goes to Hunchback Mountain.

No comments: