Monday, March 10, 2008

Spring is coming. Crazy as it seems.

I went snowboarding up at Timberline Lodge on Mt Hood with John and his friend Caitlin on Saturday. I rode down almost all intermediate runs. I didn't fall that much, and never very hard. We went up the Magic Mile chairlift and it was my first time skiing that high on the mountain. Above treeline. I could see Mt Jefferson and Broken Top way to the south. I could see the clouds wrapping Portland in their gray grip. I had a blast cruising down the wide open upper slopes; no trees, nice slope angle, lots of room to avoid the other skiers. Just a great time. I'll try to link pictures when John gets them posted.

And yesterday I led a hike up Hunchback mountain out of Zig Zag Ranger station. I had a nice crew of Mazamas with me. Almost all the snow from 2 weeks ago had melted off. What snow remained made some of the hiking feel more like an actual climb. We topped out at Rimrock viewpoint after about an hour and a half. We turned around mainly because the snow seemed like it might get really sloppy for the cruise down and I wanted to make sure we all got back comfortably. I want to make it to the Great Pyramid. Maybe later this spring.

The weather yesterday made me think that Spring has sprung. Cool and cloudy but dry with the skies opening to the sun as the day got late. Nice day to be outside. Nice day to ramble.

No comments: