Friday, November 09, 2007


This bike is my most recent object of lust. I trotted over to Clever Cycles here in Portland and checked out their bike collection. Nice place. Dedicated to cyclists that don't wear lycra. "Bicycle living" I think one web-site or article called it. I've been meaning to get over there ever since they opened. I liked the space. They had nice all-weather clothes for year round cycling. Wool clothing by Ibex and other vendors. And they had a really extensive collection of panniers and bike bags in funky prints. (So I can't take Dev there - she'll buy out the store.)

One of the owners let me test drive the Transport (a slightly different bike that the picture above.) Bike rode surprisingly light for a beast this big made with steel. Integrated generator hub headlight and tail-light. Big full fenders. Fully enclosed chain to keep your clothes clean. And tradition/retro styling. The same sort of styling that had me lusting after vintage Harleys and Triumphs and BMWs when I rode motorcycles.

At $1400-1500, I won't be buying one soon. I guess that's why it's an object of lust instead of a show-and-tell-toy.

No comments: