Saturday, September 19, 2009

Wonderland Gear List (partial)

Funny thing about my Wonderland trip; I was almost completely satisfied by the performance of everything I took with me. The notable exception was my shoulder soreness on days 3 and 4 (since I exceeded the weight recommendation for my backpack.) I really have no major problems with any of the gear I took.

Here's the list (with some brief comments):
END Stumptown high-top trail runners Great shoes. 96 miles and only one tiny blister.

Tilley Airflo LT-6 hat - portable shade. Nice styling. Great hat.

Smartwool long sleeve microweight crew - I never believed all the marketing jazz about wool keeping you warm when it's cold and cool when it's warm. I'm a believer after this trip. In fact, I went out and bought a microweight short sleeve wool shirt almost as soon as I got home for summer hiking.

Mountain Hardwear Canyon pants

Platypus bottles (one 1-liter, one 2-liter)

Jetboil PCS - I'm constantly amazed by this gadget. Three of us shared one stove for five days and didn't even kill one fuel canister.

Rain Gear (Patagonia Rain Shadow jacket and REI Ultralight rain pants) - Didn't need them on this trip. I would have needed them if I didn't take them. Such is life.

Sea to Summit bugnet - I bought this bugnet for the trip. Worth every dime for the two hours a day that the bugs swarmed us at camp.

REI Minimalist bivy sack

Integral Designs 8x10 siltarp

Golite Adrenaline 40 sleeping bag

Katadyn Hiker water filter

Rite in the Rain mini journal and Inka pen

Maps printed on Adventure Paper

Light My Fire Spork - too short to eat out of the dehydrated backpacking food pouches. I've replaced it with a long-handled spoon.

Thermarest Trail sleeping pad - heavy but worth it. At least until I feel like spending 150 bills on a Neo Air.

Bandanas (x2) - I always carry bandanas. So many uses.

Contacts (as in corrective eyewear) - I'm mixed on contacts. I wore them for this trip and they were great. I've switched back to glasses, but that's a topic for a different, separate post.

No comments: