Thursday, August 06, 2009

Walking is still badass

I love climbing. I love snowboarding. I love riding my bicycle; around town and across the state. But it's funny that the videos and stories that hit me the hardest involve the most basic movement that humans know: walking. It's simple. It's slow. It can be boring or it can be a path to enlightenment. However, I don't think that it's an accident that so many great stories of discovery (internal or external) start with walking. It's something that almost all of us have in common. It's something we can all do. It's the ultimate power of self determination because if you don't like where you are then you can grab a bag full of stuff and start walking.

This following video is stunning. You can see more about Christoph Rehage's trip here.

The Longest Way 1.0 - one year walk/beard grow time lapse from Christoph Rehage on Vimeo.

2 comments:

John said...

And it is a great great way to recover! A 20 min walk at lunch is great way to avoid super sore legs the day after "leg blasters" or box jumps

E said...

Very Cool!