Saturday, April 08, 2006

Sometimes a flat is a flat

I've been riding a flat tire for a week.

Devon and I rode our bikes to the Oregon Zoo last Sunday and then rode them back home and had a really good time. And Monday morning I went to the garage to get on my bike to go to work and found that the rear tire had low pressure. So I added air to the tire and rode my bike to work. The work day finished and I went outside to ride home and found that the same tire had very low pressure again. So I pumped air into the tire using the bicycle pump that I keep at work for just these sorts of situations. And I rode home. And I pulled the inner tube out and tried to find the leak; I found a shard of glass but no hole in the inner tube. Twenty minutes later, no leak had been found.

No problem I thought, I'll just install my spare tube. But no, my spare tube turned out to a spare tube for Dev's mountain bike.

-sigh-

So I added pressure to the tire every morning and every evening this last week. And I got back and forth just fine, though with a little added inconveneince. I pulled the tube out of the tire today and started looking for the leak and finally found it after I overinflated the tube: one of the patches I had used months ago to patch the tire had an itty bitty leak right at it's edge. I didn't feel like placing a repair patch on top of a repair patch (diminishing returns and all that) so I finally ponied up and bought two new inner tubes at the local bike shop in St Johns.

Just like I should have on Monday.
Sometimes a flat is a flat and there's no reason to delay the inevitable.

No comments: