Thursday, March 16, 2006

Another Rainy Day in Portland

As if that's the most exciting thing to happen in Portland, Oregon.

I'm trying this blog as an experiment to see how it compares to the iWeb blog publishing. While I like the flashy template and strong polish of the web pages and weblog that iWeb creates, I'm limited in a couple of fundamental ways. First, I can only publish from one computer (though Macworld says this article provides the keys to publishing from multiple computers.) The flexibility of posting from anywhere offers a very strong inducement to leave iWeb behind until it does allow posting from other computers. While I'm not going to update my blog on the clock at work, I would like the ability to post updates from internet cafes or other peoples computers while I'm traveling.

More importantly, the templates don't retain the changes I make as a template. The templates look great. Apple provided stylish and pretty starting points for the users of iWeb. However, each post or update I make requires me to change the same elements over and over again. So if I change the title element to reflect my taste, then every post I make after that requires me to change the title again. And again. Just like the first limitation, Apple could have created the option to create personalized templates based on the stock templates, but didn't do so. Yet.

Thus my entry into blogspot. I'm hoping I like this style of posting a little bit better.